HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
SouthArc <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jun 1998 09:40:23 -0400
Thanks to Carl Steen for referencing my dissertation on brickwork.  It's
available from University Microfilms or contact me for a copy if it will
help.  It focused on what was essentially an industry operating on South
Carolina Lowcountry plantations in the 18th to mid-19th centuries.
Plantations were producing bricks for the Charleston market--mostly wasters
were used for construction of plantation structures.  As Carl indicated, the
clamps themselves are really boring, but the associated settlements are very
interesting and important.  Brockington and Associates have also worked on a
number of brickyard sites in the South Carolina Lowcountry, but the last
time I talked to them the reports were not yet available.  Try Eric Poplin
for information on their work--he may be online, but if not, call
(803)881-3128.  They excavated both kilns/clamps and associated settlements.

Gurcke's book is somewhat later mechanized brickmaking, but he provides
excellent background on the technology.  Nance's Ferry is also very good.
There are a lot of accounts of brickmaking available in architectural books,
particularly older books.  And then there's Noel Hume's comments on
brickyards in his Historical Archaeology:  "a brick kiln or clamp is
probably one of the most arduous to excavate and the least interesting"
(Noel Hume 1975:174).  Amen.

                                        Lucy Wayne