HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"R. Paul Hampson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 May 1998 13:47:11 +0100

John P. Guilfoyle said:

Concerning digital images for artifact shots, we've had good luck at our
lab using our flatbed HP scanner, at least for pieces that are reasonably
flat.

I've had very good results using this method as well.  I've also gotten nearly as good results from a good, not best, grade video camera on a copy stand using the Snappy parallel port connecter and multiple frame high resolution mode.  The video camera has the advantage of better depth resolution for less than flat objects. Either provides an image that can be edited as necessary and is suitable for desktop publishing, they won't compete with film based photos however.

Paul Hampson