HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Vergil Noble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Dec 1997 13:11:26 -0500
     Webster's Third speculates that the term "jew's harp" may derive from
     the items having been sold by Jewish peddlers.

This question raises the larger issue of why should so many historical
archaeologists seem adverse to using the term "jew's harp" and end up confusing
the situation with incorrect substitute terms that already have specific
meanings (I suppose for fear of giving offense to people of that faith, but is
the fear warranted?).  "Mouth harp," of course, is the common synonym for
harmonica, whereas a "jaw harp' (yet another substitute I've seen frequently in
the literature) is something else again.

I've never seen any problem with using the term "jew's harp," but I would
welcome a little guidance if anyone thinks I'm wrong.  It may, in fact, be a
misnomer, but I have no knowledge that it is an offensive term, nor am I aware
of any negative associations with this particular musical instrument.