HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Linda Derry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Feb 1999 16:26:05 -0600
I was just catching up on some reading and found a comment in  Volume 21 of
the CRM publication put out by  the National Park Service about how the
exhibit "Back of the Big House" generated so much criticism at the Library
of Congress that it was hastily removed from display.   I'm assuming this
was the exhibit associated with one of my favorite publications "Back of the
Big House, the Architecture of Plantation Slavery" by John Michael Vlach.
Does any one out there know the specifics of the controversy and removal?  I
sure many of us work on plantation sites and could benefit from this news.

Linda Derry ([log in to unmask])
Old Cahawba Archaeological Park
Alabama Historical Commission