Date:
Wed, 17 Jun 1998 06:36:24 +0000
I agree that no apparent breast development during pregnancy does not
mean the mother will not produce enough milk.  But that is not what I
said.  I said that if the woman *does* have breast enlargement during
the pregnancy, she will probably produce plenty.

This is a question that has been on my clinic history sheet since day
one; that is, did your breasts enlarge during the pregnancy?  So after
10,000 or more mothers and their babies in 14 years I think I can say
the following:

1. Enlargement during pregnancy--almost always will produce lots of
milk.
2. No enlargment at all--probably will produce lots of milk.  Indeed,
the first woman, way back, who came with an "oversupply", insisted she
had no breast changes during pregnancy.
3. However, many of the women who really do not seem to produce enough
(a small minority even in my clinics which must gather them up) claim
they had no breast changes or enlargement during the pregnancy.  They
still make up a minority of those who have no breast changes.  It is
not always easy though to know they are constitutionally unable to
produce enough.  Some go on later with another baby to produce plenty.

So I agree.  Wait and see.  If they truly do not produce enough or
*seem* not to produce enough, they can still breastfeed with a
supplementer.  My clarion call these days:  Breastfeeding is more than
breastmilk!

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC