From:
Janet Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jul 1998 20:49:42 -0700
Hi All,
With all this talk of Drs and teaching I just have to tell you about my fun
news!
Talking with my physical therapist today, she told me that her practice may
be teaching some classes at a local hosp.  Her classes will be primarily
about massage therapy and how it can help patients, etc.  She asked me how
my speaking skills in front of large groups were, I said excellant.  She
then asked if I would be interested in imparting some of my knowledge about
breastmilk/BF and drugs to the Drs, under her practice/business name (in
other words, become a part of her practice for the purpose of teaching at
the hosp...something special, just for me!).  Isn't that cool!?  Now all I
have to do is come up with a proposal, 3-4 sentences describing what I would
teach.
Any suggestions on what I could say here?  Coming from a CLE, how would I
say that I can teach "Drugs and Mother's Milk...Issues and Anwsers" (my own
title; thought that up just now...) without coming off like someone who
knows more than Drs?  Any ideas?  It was suggested to me that I use the
Lactation Institute blurb about what a CLE is, but I can't find my stuff at
the moment...something I NEED to find tonight.
Another question is, any of you who have taught this type of class, what
would you reccomend for a format?  I would plan on having a handout with
references to back up everything I would say.  I would also have a handout
with information regarding some of the more commonly used drugs that are OK,
but most Drs tell moms to P & D anyway.  I need any advice you can throw my
way with this one.  I have never taught adults (except at a WIC PC
training), only preschool children, so I think the approach should be just a
bit different!  :)
Thanks everyone!

Jay
Who is very excited!
Jay Simpson, CLE
Sacramento, CA
"No Miracles performed here, just a lot of love and hard work."
LACTNET Quilt Raffle  Check out the web page then e-mail me at
[log in to unmask] for where to send for your tickets!