HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Marsha King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jun 1998 10:55:36 -0500
We have a small segment of a clay pipestem with the name "Peter Dorni"
in raised lettering from the Enlisted Privy at Fort Harker (1867-1871/2).  So
far the only reference I have been able to find in our collections to Dorni is
in Roger T. Grange's (1987) _Excavations at Fort Mackinac, 1980-1982:
The Provision Storehouse_.  On page 147 he indicates that his two "Peter
Dorni" specimens "date to the latter part of the nineteenth century
(Omwake 1961)."  This sounds like the perfect source.  Unfortunately,
we do not have a copy of H.G. Omwake's  "Peter Dorni White Kaolin
Pipes," _Bulletin of the Archaeological Society of New Jersey_, 18-19,
pp. 12-15.

Can someone please provide information on Peter Dorni.  Obviously, I am
especially interested in when the pipe was likely to have been
manufactured.

Thanks in advance,

Marsha K. King
Special Projects Archeologist