HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Lenny Piotrowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Nov 1997 08:24:12 -0500
Anita Cohen-Williams wrote:
[snip]

>I have "removed" myself from one such list, and discovered that I started
>receiving more spam than ever before!!

I highly recommend that no one EVER respond directly to a spammer, even if
it's just to satisfy a remove request. The reason is your e-mail address
ends up on the spammer's marketing list and subsequently sold and copied to
other spammers!  Opt-out and Remove Schemes offered by spammers are just
another aspect of the big spamming fraud! See Hot Tip # 5 of Fred Elbel's
"How to Get Rid of Junk Mail, Spam, and Telemarketers:"
http://www.csn.net/~felbel/jmtips.html#genguide

"Don't respond directly to junk mail solicitations, even if you write on it
to delete your name from their database. The reason is that lists are often
rented for one-time use, with the agreement that if someone responds in any
manner, that name and address become the "property" of the company that
rented the list and sent you the mail. "

--Lenny__