From:
MOMCORGI <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 May 1998 12:57:15 EDT
I'm sorry to send this to Lactnet.  It is certainly more appropriate for
private e-mail, but my e-mail to Gail was returned.
My firstborn called it "nope".  We called her a "nope addict". ;-) She made it
up on her own.  The middle two both called it "numa". The last one calls it
"num".  The second one made it up on his own, but the 3rd and 4th copied him
since that's the expression we tended to use.
As the mom of four bf children, I've nursed anywhere, anytime, but I do deal a
lot with first time moms and discreet toddler nursing.  I encourage the moms
in my group to adopt whatever code word the child uses, so as not to be
embarrassed at the supermarket, as one mom in my town was, by her toddler
announcing loudly "I wanna suck milk from your nipple right now!"  In awkward
social situiations if the child starts pulling on her and saying "numa" or
whatever, the mom can always say "We're potty training!" and get up and leave
to discreetly bf elsewhere.
Cynthia D. Payne
LLL of Berkshire County MA