Date:
Sat, 18 Apr 1998 09:23:18 EDT
Hello, I am new here and find all this info wonderful.  I am a RN in a NICU, a
Peer counselor for 4 years and I also rent pumps.  I am sitting for the exam
in July.  A mom whom I rented a pump to when her babe was 1 week old called
me.  She weaned at that time.  She called because she wanted to relactate and
asked if I would help her.  Her son is 11 weeks old.  During the time she had
weaned she had taken Zoloft for PPD.  Her pedi said if she wanted to do this
she would need to stop the Zoloft.  I explained to her the time and patience
this would take.  After thinking about this she said let's go ahead.
So, we started.  I consulted a Board Certified LC in the area for assistance.
The baby latched on well.  Mom has been using the supplementer for a week.
She has not been using it every time he feeds.  The other times she has been
using bottles.  I explained that this does not help our cause.  Over the week,
she has said the infant has been clicking on her breast only when she uses the
supplementer.  When she puts him on without the supplementer he does not.  On
the side, his weight is okay and he has been taken the same volume of milk
throught the 24 hr period.  When he clicks mom said she takes him off and trys
to put him on correctly but she is getting frustrated.
Sorry, this is so long.  I just need some other input.  I want to help this
mom and not lead her in the wrong direction.  Another question-Can the
supplementer be used like a H* finger feeder-if he is not latched on properly,
also instead of mom giving bottles when not using the supplementer at the
breast?  I would greatly appreciate anyones input- You can e-mail privately if
you like-
Colleen-CD566@AOL