Date:
Sun, 26 Apr 1998 19:03:00 EDT
Hello all...please help me.
 I am grateful for help from  archives search which I have shared w/ Mom and
OB but I found no info re this detail.

What I need is journal articles (not anecdotal) to share w/ Surgeon re;
continuing to bf on unaffected breast while reducing milk supply on other
breast in anticipation of surgery AND doing surgery on the Lactating Breast.

Brief Hx.:This was telephone consult only - no personal consultation.
OB called to ask if I would speak w/ her patient who she had dx w/ a "palpable
solid fixed nodule" on the upper center of the left breast. Ultra sound found
no fluid so OB did not do fine needle aspiration. Mom sent to surgeon who
recommends surgery to r/o CA on May 1st.  and immediate weaning.  Mom is excl
bf 3 m/o first baby and was obviously devastated w/ news that she had to wean
on Surgeon's advice and called OB who called me.

When mom called me she had not bf or pumped for 24 hrs and was (you know)
full, hot etc, etc. She had been given no info on weaning...just do it.
(sigh)

So, we took care of the immediate problem and then discussed  her options.
I suggested she talk w/ surgeon re the above (begin drying up one side
-realizing that complete drying in the breast was impossible in 2 weeks!-while
cont bf on other)  and Mom said she wanted to maintain the option of bf if
lump proved benign (sp?)  and said she would call the OB in the AM. I left
message w/  OB  immediately  re what I told mom and OB told mom not to discuss
w/ surgeon.  OB said she would speak w/ surgeon herself re this option.

Next...Surgeon leaves message for me saying he was having "a difficult time
with the concept" of one sided nursing and operating on a lactating breast but
wanted to discuss it with me since the OB thought it was a good idea.

So what I am looking for is articles  that are NOT anecdotal that I can use to
back up my idea....any kind of literature, Medical, Nursing, Lactation,
Surgical?
The surgeon is supposed to call me Mon AM.

I have the personal accounts  from the Lactnet Archives, Dr Jack's list of
things a surgeon should realize when doing surgery on the breast, the stuf
about skin lines, and healing of a leaking breast.

I am nervous about this one... but also appreciate the surgeon's openness to
consulting with a LC :) especially since the OB told me he has had "run in's "
with other pushy breastfeeding fanatics in the area.  I can be very tactful
and persuasive when I know what I'm talking about.

What would you learned ones suggest?
Thank you in advance for all time spent helping me with this one...
I promise to report back on outcome.

Karen Evon, IBCLC
Maternal Expressions
Folsom, CA