From:
Donna Hansen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 May 1998 08:03:15 -0700
Hi all,

I have a question from a mum with an 8 week old baby (and 3 other boys).
Baby is gaining well, everything fine. However, she wishes to go back to
a high protein, low carbohydrate diet.

In the book the Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, on page 227 it states that
following a high protein low carbohydrate diet is potentially dangerous
because of substances released released into the milk by the mothers
altered metabolism.

What are these substances?  She has followed that diet for the last year
before pregnancy.  She finds that she feels better physically and has
lots more energy (important when you have 4 boys!) when she follows this
diet.  She also looses weight and maintains weight easier. All I could
find in the archives was one post on this diet but not anything related
to this question. A medline search got me lots of hits but only about
dairy cattle and milk composition!

Many thanks.

Donna Hansen
Burnaby, BC