From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 23:55:39 -0600
> The previous post regarding queen introduction and splits was incorrect
> in that he still added open brood. With queen introduction it is
> imperative to only use sealed brood and young bees to ensure a good
> acceptance rate.

Hmmm.  May be true in Ontario, but here in the West, we get very good
acceptance -- up to 100% with any kind of brood in the split.  Young brood
is good for holding the bees in the split until the queen is put in if you
are moving them around or the queen arrival is a bit delayed -- or you use
cells.

> One point missed by both is 'feeding'. We feed every nuc and split on an
> ongoing basis all summer long.

Definitely no argument here.  We quit when they start filling supers, but
until they are making surplus we feed and feed and feed.

Allen