From:
JOHN TAYLOR <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Mar 1998 13:07:54 GMT
On Sun, 29 Mar 1998 18:06:50 EST, you wrote:

>Bob:  You are new to bees, and unfortunately "it shows".  This is almost
>April, and apparently you did not examine INSIDE YOUR HIVE from about October.
>Only God can diagnose bee problems from outside a colony!  I demand that all
>my "students" examine the inside of a colony at least once/month in Nov.,
>Dec., & Jan. and at least twice each month in Feb. and March.  Remember that
>next winter!

I'm in a situation similar to that of Bob.  I'm new.  I've lost my
colonies the last two winters (my first two years).  I suspect
tracheal mite the first winter - however, I had a ton of dead bees in
the hive.  They had been alright through the winter and died after a
mild period, followed by a nasty cold snap.

This last winter I got varroa mites.  Found a few dead bees, an empty
hive and what I believe are dead mites on the bottom board (somewhat
sesame seed color and shape, but much smaller).

Tell me more about looking into the hive in the winter.  I thought you
don't get into a hive below about 60 degrees.

-- John Taylor --
Wild Rose Creek Apiary
Southeast Missouri

When in danger, or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!