HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"L. D Mouer" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Apr 1998 09:28:13 -0400
Dan Mouer
Virginia Commonwealth University
http://saturn.vcu.edu/~dmouer/homepage.htm

On Wed, 29 Apr 1998, Antonia Malan wrote:

> In the Cape, in 18th century contexts, we find broken window glass
> laid with shell lime plaster as a floor surface (on solid earthen
> floors), in kitchen or store room areas.  It is assumed to be
> vermin-proofing.  In a first-half 19th century context (under raised
> wooden floorboards) we have found many broken bottles laid around the
> edges of rooms on the ground surface, or one or two stuck
> strategically in corners where vermin might burrow through the base
> of walls/floors. Interestingly, in the latter contexts there were
> many animal bones (especially sheep) lying around on the dusty ground
> surface, some complete and surprisingly large, so the rats themselves
> don't seem to have interpreted the broken glass as a deterrant.
>
> I will keep an ear out for confirmation from the old folk, and an eye
> out for documentary confirmation.
>
> Antonia.

Hey Antonia! Great to "see" you. That's good info. Like I said I simply
guessed at the reason for the glass under the floor. It was in an area
adjacent a probably warming kitchen, and also near the wine cellar. But
the glass was clearly laid deliberately under clay and sand layers that it
was obviously purposeful.

Dan