HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"M. Jay Stottman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Nov 1998 05:00:12 -0800
I think determining function the of a structure between archaeology and
architecture is a matter of different types of data.  Architectural historians
for the most part relagated to the material culture of architecture and changes
to that material culture, while archaeologists can see not only the material
culture of the building but, the material culture produced from the activities
that took place in the building.  We have advantages in data they do not have
and they understand architecture much more than we do.  That is why between the
architecture and the archaeology, we can formulate valid interpretations of a
structure and how it functioned through time.

M. Jay Stottman
Kentucky Archaeological Survey