HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 1997 10:05:07 -0400
On Thu, 18 Sep 1997, cthist wrote:

> At 02:30 PM 9/16/97 -0400, you wrote:
> >Please post this, thank you.
> >Hello fellow Historical Archaeology people,
> >        I am compling an annotated bibliography regarding African-American
> >archaeology, specifcally the cultrual traditons carried over from Africa
> >and mantained by slave in the southeastern United States.  If you know of
> >any sites, publications, and/or information in general I would really
> >appreciate it if you could let me know.  Thank you for your input and I
> >have enjoyed reading your messages.
> >Floyd Jones
> >

> Some references that might be of interest:
>
> Crist, Thomas A.J., et al
> 1997  The First African Baptist Church Cemeteries:  African-American
> Mortality and Trauma in Antebellim Philadelphia.
>
> Burnston, Sharon
> 1997  The Invisible People:  The Cemetery at Catoctin Furnace.
>
> Maish, Amy, Jerome C. Rose & Murray K. Marks
> 1997  Cedar Grove:  African-American History in Rural Arkansas.
>
> Rathbun, Ted A. & Steven D. Smith
> 1997  Folly Island:  An African-American Union Brigade Cemetery in South
> Carolina.
>
> All 4 of these articles can be found in:
>
> Poirier, David A. & Nicholas F. Bellantoni (eds)
> 1997  In Remembrance:  Archaeology and Death. Greenwood Publishing Group,
> Westport,CT.
>
> Also published by Greenwood (for more info: http://www.greenwood.com):
>
> Miller, Randall M. & John David Smith (eds)
> 1997  Dictionary of Afro-American Slavery.  Rev. Ed.

Any of you interested in African American archeaology might want to know
about a book coming out this December from Smithsonsian Institute Press:
Bones in the Basement: Post Mortem Racism in Nineteenth Century Medical
Training.  It's a comprehensive volume about the Medical College of
Georgia project conducted by researchers at Georgia State University and
edited by Robert L. Blakely and Judith M. Harrington (me!).  It includes
not only archaeology, but ethnography, experimental anatomy, forensic
anthropology, history, and other good stuff.  Check it out at the SHA
meeting in January in Atlanta.  We also have a symposium devoted to the
subject at that meeting.

(please excuse the commercial aspect of this message, but I couldn't
resist!)

Jude