From:
Barry Birkey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 8 Apr 1998 18:10:15 +0000
Aaron Morris wrote:

> Also let me say that so far I have approved all posts to BEE-L, regardless
> of content.  However in the near future I will begin to discard
> impertinent postings and will return to senders those postings which
> contain excessive quotes from previous posts and postings to BEE-L
> which are more appropriately kept private between two subscribers.
>
> I suspect this will be objectionable to some subscribers.  However, it
> is an undenyable fact that fully 40% of what has been posted to the list
> since April 1 is useless noise.  Again, I have no desire to play net
> police and I strongly object to censorship.

Hi Aaron and all -

It looks like we are going to be turning a corner here on bee-l and I'm not
sure how I feel about it as I don't know what it will look like.  I, too,
agree that there is way too much quoted material sent back to us on replies
and wish people would take it upon themselves to learn the points of
netiquette to help us all communicate with each other a little easier.  I'm
not as concerned about this aspect of posts being moderated as I think there
is less room for these actions becoming "censorship."  I am more concerned
though about the  postings that are "more appropriately kept private between
two subscribers."

For the couple of years that I've been on this list I've never felt that it
has gotten out of hand in this area.  We seem to be able to handle the
problems ourselves when things get a little wild.  I guess everybody has a
different level of what is appropriate but somehow we get through it and we
remain civil to one another for the most part.  I think Andy makes a good
point again too about the option for anyone to join bestofbee if they feel
more comfortable with previewed information.

Anyway, what ever you decide to do Aaron will be acceptable to me and life
will go on.  You've handled it (the list) well over the past and I'm sure you
will continue to do so.

Regards

-Barry

--