From:
Joel Govostes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Mar 1998 08:16:21 -0400
>I have been doing some research into buck wheat and  see that this
>honey is supposed to be prised in the US  and Canada.
>
>Is this still the case and is there a market for it.  Also  how long
>dose it yield for and how much can one expecx from a hive
>
>thanks
>
>Andrew

There is still a specialty market for buckwheat, and the price is good, if
it is straight buckwheat honey.

The problem many beekeepers encounter in buckwheat areas is that it darkens
up the honey from lighter sources that bloom concurrently.  This tends to
lower the overall wholesale price of the crop.  Some honey packers purchase
straight buckwheat honey but then mix milder honeys in prior to bottling.
As one guy told me, "people don't like pure buckwheat -- it's way too
strong."

Here in NY I have had yards located between Cayuga and Seneca Lakes, that
would yield 2-3 supers of buckwheat honey (up to 70 lbs. or so).  The yield
of course depends on the surrounding acreage.  The bloom lasts through most
of August, usually.

An interesting note regarding this crop:
evidently it only yields nectar in the morning, and then tapers off.  If
you go into a yard of bees in the afternoon they can be quite cross!