From:
Kathy Dettwyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Mar 1998 05:36:06 -0600
In writing about how hormones affect the pelvic floor muscles, someone wrote:

>>I don't remember the numbers but it was something like 3 out of five
injuries in the last two weeks of the menstrual cycle.

If a typical menstrual cycle is 4 weeks long, and there are five injuries
each month and they are evenly distributed throughout the cycle, then one
would expect 2.5 to be during the last half of the cycle.  So you are
looking at a tiny increase, from 2.5 to 3.0 injuries.

This reminds me of something I just read about 1/3 of SIDS deaths during the
first year of life being found within the 28 days of an immunization.  And I
was thinking to myself, what proportion of the first year life is within 28
days of an immunization?  If you have DPTs at 2, 4, and 6 months, then 1/4
of the first year is within 28 days of an immunization.  And suddenly the
1/3 figure isn't so high.

Kathy D.
mailto:[log in to unmask]