From:
Janet Vandenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Mar 1998 23:11:16 -0500
Breastfeeding  a baby  in the car can be done while they are in their
car seat. At three months baby is still rear facing making this easier.
When mum is the passenger she can sit beside the baby's car seat and
lean over the seat with her arm around the back of the car seat.  This
is a great way to get through long trips.

For an older baby in a forward facing seat it is a little more gymnastic
but mum can still try and sit beside baby and lean over to nurse.

For our family we also had to adjust our plans to suit the needs of our
children until they were old enough to be happy in the car.  They hated
to travel in the dark, prefered steady pace like a highway over stop and
go traffic.  Finding what works for the baby's temperment in terms of
time of day, length of trip and choice of route makes it possible to
decide which trips are worthwhile and which are not. The tincture of
time works too.  As baby starts to play with toys and interact with
people games in the car can work too. And eventually they outgrow it but
by then there is often another baby with needs to meet.

Janet Vandenberg
RN, BScN