Date:
Thu, 26 Feb 1998 14:44:35 EST
HI all,
After the discussion a few weeks back I asked a friend who works in the breast
clinic about incisions on the breast. She is a NP and not thought about how an
incision is made when dealing with surgery and a woman in her child bearing
years.  So she asked the surgeons she works with.
If the surgery needs to be near the areola, a circumscribe incision is better.
If the problem is away from the areola then an incision along the skin lines
could be done.
Removal of a fibroadenoma is a more invasive surery and could potentally cut
the ducts.  I&D (incision & drain) of an abcess is more superficial and should
not need to cut into the ducts.
I have a mom who had a fibroadenoma removed at 10 o'clock to 12 o'clock on her
Lt br with a circumscribed incision, during her pregnancy. That breast is
producing great with no problems in that quadrant.
Ann Perry RN IBCLC