From:
Pearl Shifer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Feb 1998 00:39:10 EST
Hi, everybody, today I had the greatest "visual aid" at the WIC
breastfeeding class.Yesterday I had contacted one of our pts who we
hadn't seen in a while. This girl had come to the prenatal class with her
mom and they were the only ones who wanted to sit through the video
"Coping with the first week".  The girl's mom had not breastfed any of
HER children, so this young pregnant girl had not been breastfed herself.
Well, lo and behold, she  decided to breastfeed and now her daughter is
seven months old and is still breastfeeding. Has never gotten formula. I
asked the mom if she would come to the class today and talk to the other
women. She had also told me that she would look for her birth video where
you can see the baby go to the breast right after the birth...
Well, she came to my class and gave an impromptu talk to the pts. She
said to them:You know how it felt when you were making the baby, so why
do you think it's going to hurt to feed your baby?! She said that she
when her daughter is about 17 she'll be back at the party scene! She had
her baby in a baby carrier and you could see that she wasn't giving that
baby to anyone else to care for. Then she said-you have other children,
you know how fast they grow up, you need to spend the time with them now
when they're little and need you!
I felt like a proud grandma! Although she didn't have her birth video
with her, she promised to try and get me a copy! I wish I had taped her
talk!
Please email me privately for my review of the video "Coping with the
first week".

Pearl Shifer, IBCLC
NYC

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]