From:
Hannah Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Jan 1998 18:02:32 -0000
Helen wrote:
Have you thought about not using antibiotics and have the mother take NSAID
Ibuprofen instead, given that there is Infectious mastitis and
Non-infectious
mastitis and that at least 50% of lactating women with mastitis do not have
an
infectious condition?
We forget that antibiotics have another very important role and that is
they
are very effective anti-inflammatories.  We can easily jump to the
conclusion
that there was an infection present because the antibiotic cleared up the
symptoms quickly.....
----------
I'm so pleased Helen has mentioned this distinction.  This is an approach
which some health workers/lay bf supporters are taking in the UK.  Some
mothers with all the apparent s&s of mastitis will improve with careful
attention to feeding technique and just Ibuprofen to relieve s&s.  Others
(perhaps with damaged nipples affording an entry for bacteria) will need
antibiotics.  The difference between infective and non-infective may, of
course, be only a matter of hours so close co-orperation between health
worker and well-informed mother is vital.  We find that mothers are pleased
to be offered relief other than through automatic recourse to antibiotics -
if appropriate to individual circumstances.  I can supply refs. and
suggestions for reading if anybody wishes.
Best wishes to all - I am enjoying Lactnet!
Hannah Hulme Hunter
NCT breastfeeding counsellor, UK