From:
Johnston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Feb 1998 10:13:55 +1100
Cindy
This is anecdotal.
In my midwifery practice (mainly homebirth, a few hospital births) I will not agree to attend a birth unless the woman plans to breastfeed.  Occasionally a woman who wants to plan homebirth without breastfeeding speaks to me, and she either changes or finds another midwife.  I explain that from both the baby's wellbeing and the woman's wellbeing this is essential.

For example, I usually practice physiological management of Third Stage (birth of the placenta), and only use oxytocics (syntocinon, syntometrine, pitocin) if there is an indication such as excessive bleeding.  The *intervention* of denying the baby access to the breast, and the subsequent hormonal deficit of oxytocin and all the complex physiological and psychological things that happen at that time is too risky for me to take on.

In my last 20 births one woman gave up breastfeeding after four weeks - she struggled with lots of physical and emotional issues.  The others, as far as I know, continued exclusive breastfeeding until the time when solids were added to the baby's diet.

Best wishes for your studies.
Joy Johnston, FACM IBCLC
Midwife and Lactation Consultant
www.webrider.net.au/~aitex/joy.htm