From:
Paul & Kathy Koch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 1998 18:14:54 -0500
Dear Lactnet friends,

I have Kathleen Bruce's support in this endeavor and her permission to
send this to Lacntet.

Maya's Angels are a group of breastfeeding advocates and their friends
around the world. We have a friend in need and we need your help. No, we
are not soliciting funds, at this time.

Maya is the mother of two children, ages 7 and 9, and she lives with her
husband in Tbilisi, in the Republic of Georgia (which was formerly part
of the USSR). She is the only La Leche Leader in her country. Maya has
been diagnosed with Stage 3 Breast Cancer and has had one breast removed

(and ovaries). She is currently getting some sort of chemotherapy in her
country. But, she has been advised to seek treatment abroad. We have
been in contact with her by phone, but are looking into email
possibilities, fax, and other methods of communication. Mail is slow and
not dependable for what we need now. Can you help her in any way?

 We are hoping someone can help us. Please email us:

*If you know of any individual or group that might be able to underwrite
the costs to have Maya come to the USA (or any other suitable country)
for evaluation and treatment.

*If you have contacts, information, or anything else we can check into
to get help for this mother of two.

Help can also be in the form of a supportive card or letter (takes 4-6
weeks to get there, but will be appreciated!) In any case, please keep
Maya and our efforts in your thoughts and prayers.

Please use this address to write her supportive cards or letters only.

     Maya Sartania
     41 Chavchavadze Avenue, App. 24
     GO 380062 Tbilisi
     REPUBLIC OF GEORGIA

Email Maya's Angels with any help or information to me at
[log in to unmask] I will forward all email to the appropriate member of
our group, as needed. You can also fax me at: 301-866-9265--if busy,
email me and I will get off the modem!

Please don't email to ask how Maya is doing. Instead, we have set up a
web page to keep everyone up to date on her condition.  We hope to have
a guest book running this weekend and can collect warm thoughts and good
wishes to send to Maya at a later date.

http://www.prairienet.org/~sak/maya.html

Please  bookmark this Web page and check back for updates. Please
remember that  Maya's Angels are mostly mothers of small children with
many commitments,  so that it may take some time for requests to be
acknowledged.

Maya's Angels wish to thank Sue Ann Kendall for her time and expertise
in designing and maintaining the web page for Maya.  Please feel free to
pass the URL along to anyone you think could help Maya.

We, and Maya, do sincerely appreciate your positive thoughts and
prayers.....thank-you!

Kathy Koch, BSEd, IBCLC
Mom to Andrew, Abigail and Molly
LLL Leader, AAPL/OL for VA and MD/DE/DC
[log in to unmask]          Great Mills, MD, USA

"Within the child lies the fate of the future."   Maria Montessori