From:
Date:
Sat, 17 Jan 1998 15:54:16 -0500
At 03:29 PM 1/17/98 -0400, you wrote:
>The local commercial outfit I sometimes work for uses large flat-bed trucks
>(1-1.5 ton?) for bringing in the crop.

Most of our Commercial Beekeepers use flatbed trucks, although some use
low-boy trailers.  An obvious advantage of the trailer is the low ground
height.  One of the disadvantages is bounce and sway.  Dual axles help.
Also, going across a dip, like a ditch beside a road can sometimes bottom
out on the hitch.

As per moving the supers around.  You use the grunt and toss method or a
hand truck.  Our guys vary from:

Electric Hand Trucks and Ramps - one man can move the boxes around and end
up on the bed for stacking.

Electric booms and winches - works really well from trailers

Fork Lifts - only for the largest of operations.

Cheers

Jerry
Jerry J. Bromenshenk, Ph.D.
Director, DOE/EPSCoR & Montana Organization for Research in Energy
The University of Montana-Missoula
Missoula, MT  59812-1002
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]
Tel:  406-243-5648