HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Debbie Rotman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Oct 1997 12:58:01 -0500
In need of some information on a Maker's Mark found on a sherd of
high-quality, fine and dense semivitreous ware.  It appears to date from
between ca. 1800-1850, because it is faintly tinted a blue-gray.
Considering the date and high-quality of the ware, it seems likely it is a
product of an English potter.  Unfortunately, we only have a portion of
the mark:  An olive branch curls around the bottom of the writing.  Along
the inside edge of the olive branch, the following appears "W.H. GAN..."
or "W.H. GAI..." or "W.H. GRI..."  Perpendicular to this writing, the letters
"EN..." appear.  The mark itself is green transfer print.  We have not been
able to locate this mark in the literature.  We would greatly appreciate any
assistance in this matter or references to literature.
Aaron Smith
Graduate Student
Ball State University