From:
Andy Nachbaur <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 1998 12:00:46 -0800
At 09:01 AM 2/19/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Joel wrote:

>>AFAIK it is commonly claimed that terramycin loses its effectiveness in
>> brief time when subjected to water/syrup... can anyone offer info on
>> this?

>Yes its effectiveness is 'quickly' lost in water.  Depending on the
>temperature from hours to a few days. Thus if your bees are tardy in
>taking the syrup they do not get full value from the terra.  Another
>post warned of not heating the water solution and I would add never feed
>more that the bees will take in a few days.  But refill with new mix as
>needed - perhaps not as practical for LARGE operations.

Yes TM does bio degrade, but all formulas for bees and other subjects take
this into account and the only problems would be with an outside glass
feeder jar exposed to sun light. TM fed bees in tests done in the fall in
Canada demonstrated active TM the following spring in syrup stored in the
combs.

It is important in many areas that have problems with EFB to get the TM
into the hive as early as possible to avoid loss from this brood disease.

ttul, the OLd Drone
... The hairy wild-bee that murmurs and hankers up and do

(c)Permission is given to copy this document
in any form, or to print for any use.

(w)OPINIONS are not necessarily facts. USE  AT OWN RISK!