Date:
Sun, 18 Jan 1998 10:28:25 -0500
Eczema it could very well be.  If the mother normally has eczema, why
consider this an infection?  It could be eczema!  Eczema usually
responds to steroid ointments.  I prescribe betamethasone 0.05%
*ointment* to be applied sparingly after each feeding (and *not*
washed or wiped off*) until the problem is controlled, then decreasing
use (after every other feeding, then less and less), using only as
much as needed.  It works fine.  If there is concern about yeast,
there are ointments available (probably in Nederland as well) which
contain both nystatin and steroid.  In Canada, we have an ointment
which contains antibiotics, nystatin and a steroid (I call it my
good-for-all-things-don't-know-why-it-works nipple ointment).

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC