From:
Daisy1413 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Dec 1997 14:07:09 EST
I just recently started reading Lactnet again.  In the Dec 11 issue, I saw
something about sleep induction.  I didn't see the original letter but from
what was pasted and the reply, I got the idea.  I've been working with a few
moms on this issue lately.  Here are 2 suggestions.

First:  When my oldest (now 14 years old) was a baby (2 years old), I had gone
to a children's playgroup.  Every week they had a new speaker.  One week it
was a child psychologist.   Of course, all us mommies bombarded her with
questions about our 24 to 36 month olds still sucking pacifiers, sleeping in
bed with us, nursing, and the like.  Her question to each of us in succession
was, "Does this bother you?"  The answer always seemed to be the same.  No,
but it bothered us when our mother, mother-in-law, sister, neighbor, etc.
would tell us that it was a bad thing to let our children do that.  The
psychologist then said that she didn't ask us whether or not it bothered those
people... she wanted to know if it bothered us.  The answer across the board
was a resounding, "NO".  She then asked us if we thought the child would be
doing that at the age of 14.... again the answer..." no".  Her final words of
wisdom... words I have since lived by... well then don't worry about it.  When
it bothers you or your husband, then it is time to do something about it,
otherwise you will take it out on the child and that's not fair to the child.
Needless to say, my son is now 14 years old and he neither sucks a pacifier,
nor sleeps in bed with us anymore.  By the way, the idea of a family bed is
gaining in popularity in this country again as I just read about in a local
newspaper.  In other countries this is an accepted method... like a "velcro
baby".

Second, and in keeping with what the psychologist said (if it's bothering
you... then it's time to change the situation):  If you or your significant
other are seriously against a family bed, behavior modification techniques can
help with this.  The Ferber Method is a widely accepted way of teaching a baby
that bedtime means just that.  There is a book out on this subject.  I have
heard many success stories.  It seems heartless at times to let baby cry for
even short lengths of time, but for babies with high contact needs, you have
to make a decision and it usually comes down to the family bed or behavior
modification techniques.

Hope this helps,
Veronica Scott,
Breastfeeding Peer Counselor Coordinator,
and psychologist in training!! :)