Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Maurenne griese <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Dec 1997 06:39:42 -0600
This unplanned teaching tip occured when I was nursing my son, almost 3
years ago.  I was working PP on the day our LC, Terri Johnson, was teaching
the BF class.  She came into our nursing lounge to grab the electric pump
as I was putting my breast milk in the fridge.  Terri wanted to know if she
could borrow my milk for class.

What she did was put it on ice, saving it for when she talked about BF and
returning to work.  She used it as a visual example of what breastmilk
looks like and how the cream rises to the top when it is chilled and talked
a little more about breastmilk storage.  She said it made a PROFOUND impact
on her class and received many positive comments about it on her post
course evaluations.

Even here in Kansas, where we have our fair share of dairy farms, it's
still interesting that most people have only seen homogenized milk during
their lifetimes.  I still get calls every now and then about "Has my milk
spoiled?" when all that has happened is the cream rose to the top.  One tip
another LC gave me was if it smells bad or tastes bad, it has probably
spoiled.  The foul odor/taste is a sign that the bacterial count in the
milk is high.

As I think of more, I'll post them.  My mind still isn't quite awake this
cold and ~~~~windy am in my little house on the prairie(wind chill is 5).
BTW, I loved the Christmas poem posted yesterday.  Hit the nail on the head
for me.  My husband also sent me a real humorous Ma---- St----- Christmas
Planning Calendar that had me laughing out loud last night!  I won't post
it to the list but if you e-mail me privately, I'll forward it to you.  For
those of you who are still shopping, don't have your house decorated or
have cookies made for your kid's school program yet, you'll love
it!

Feeling thankful once again for all I've learned from the brilliant minds
that make Lactnet a great discussion group.  Happy Holidays

Maurenne Griese, RNC, BSN, CCE, CBE
Birth and Breastfeeding Resources
Manhattan, KS  USA