From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 5 Feb 1998 17:38:05 -0800
Dr. R.
The problem I have with the use of FGMO vrs PGMO (in addition to cost) is
that it is probably inappropriate for use in the hive unless you maintain
the same "clean" conditions required to maintain FGMO's classification as
food grade. Just as soon as you put it on a frame, it is no longer "food
grade" and becomes less pure than unapplied PGMO.
I understand that we want to have a pure substance in the hive, but
beekeepers put crisco, terra, formic acid, menthol,  apistan, and a host of
other things into their hives, follow directions and the honey is considered
pure and safe. Most of those things you would not want to eat. Bees track in
every kind of substance, including dirt, pesticides, and pollen. Bits and
pieces of bees end up in cells along with dead mites and honey. With all
this hive contamination, we are saying that we have to use FGMO because it
is food grade. Yet all this trash comes in contact with honey and always
has.
I understand  FGMO is used in machinery which will contact foods. Every
effort is made, under those conditions, to maintain a clean environment.
The hive does not meet those conditions, so I agree with the oil sales rep
that we are in overkill if we  use FGMO. PGMO is a very pure oil - you can
drink it, though not recommended (along with FGMO) because of the end result
(there is a pun in there somewhere).
I guess the best analogy is washing your hands with a strong antiseptic soap
or plain soap before you go out and dig up carrots in the garden. Your hands
are clean enough for the job with plain soap because the environment (dirt
in garden) brings either treatment to the same level of contamination.
I would like to know how anyone can tell the difference between FGMO and
PGMO after it is applied. Both are exactly the same chemically. Both then
have the same level of contamination. The hive is an unclean environment.
I would hate to see the community find that MO does work but be locked into
FGMO because of what I consider to be over caution (it is food grade so it
must be the only thing we can use).  I know that I am on the hard side of
this discussion because I am arguing a lesser standard, but I think more
practical.
Bill Truesdell
Bath, ME
As an aside, two of us will be trying MO this summer, so I am not against MO
and I appreciate your work.