Date:
Fri, 6 Feb 1998 17:07:41 -0500
Curtis,
I'm a bit confused by some of what you have written and have commented
below on the parts that i don't understand, that don't make sense to me,
or that conflict with what i know &/or have observed about honeybee
behaviour.

Curtis Seyfried wrote:

> For Discussion. Please read carefully and fully, do not use this
> advice
> until a full discussion and understanding has occured.
>
> Iam new to this list and know a little about bees.  I have also
> studied
> Western  &  chinese herbal medicine, Homeopathic medicine,
> aromatherapy and
> other alternative therapies for 26 years now.
> >From this I feel that I Might have somethig to offer this group.
>
> >From a herbal medicine (hm) perspective parasites of any form can
> only take
> a foothold in, or on, an individual when their natural immune system
> is not
> functioning properly.  This can be caused by many factors,
> environmental
> stress and pollutatnt, poor nutrition, and others.

So far, this makes sense to me, and i would identify both the varroa and
the tracheal mites to be environmental stress (of the choices in your
statement). They are certainly not caused by poor nutrition or
pollution.

> It seems to me that bees, like other life forms, would naturally be
> able to
> throw off parasitic mites if their immune systems were functioning
> normally.

This is where i begin to get confused...  it seems to me that the
parasites (external stress) would *cause* immune system problems and it
doesn't follow that manipulating the immune system in any other way (as
with vitamins or homeopathy) would *cause* the parasite to go away.  I
seem to recall that when each of these mites was
accidentally/inadvertantly/whatever  introduced to apis mellifera,
colonies were pretty darn healthy, so by this reasoning, why would they
have been infected in the first place?

> Cats and Dogs can be rid of fleas and other parasites by
> including in the diet nutritional supplements that parasites dislike :
>
> Garlic, Brewers Yeast, Thiamine (a B vitamin).  I have also rid my
> cats of
> tape worms by using an old antibiotic remedy called "Colloidial
> Silver"
> (CS).  CS is a titration (minute dilution) of the metal silver in
> deionized
> water.  It is created through an electrochemical process and creates a
> 1
> part per million or lower concentration.

These two examples seem to me to contradict what you said above about
manipulating the immune system to throw off the parasites. In both
instances you have used things that target the parasites, either by
making the cat/dog taste/smell bad to the parasite or by making the
intestine uninhabitable for the tapeworm(s).

> I am not recomending any of these to be given to bees, just discussing
> them
> so far.
>
> Herbally Echinacea (Echinacea Augustofolia ),  AKA. Purple Cone
> Flower, is
> an immune system strengthener.  Golden Seal  (Hydrastis Canadensis L.
> ) is
> also an immune system herb, which also acts synergistically to
> strengthen
> the action of herbs it is combined with. Marigold ( Calendula
> Officianalis
> ) is also another healer, it also is resinous which might increase
> propolis
> production. There are other herbs I will get to in later discussions.
>
> Possibly if Echinacea, Goldenseal, Garlic and Calendula were planted
> in
> proximity to the hives, thusly allowing the bees to pollinate the
> flowers
> and pick up the healing properties, this MAY help.

According to "Plants & Beekeeping in Canada" by Jane Ramsay and my own
observations in my garden:Echinacea has only sometimes been a limited
late source of nectar, has occasionally been reported as unattractive to
honeybees, is not a pollen source and honeybees are rarely seen on them
in the author's garden nor in mine