From:
Steve Salop <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Dec 1997 13:54:36 -0500
This morning I had a LLL Helpline call from a distressed Dutch mom
(living in DC) of a nursing 2 y.o.  She is going back to Holland over
Christmas and she was so upset because she feels that her friends and
family will be so judgemental of her breastfeeeding such an "old" ( and
evidently frequent) nurser.  We talked about all the things I would tell
any mother going to visit unsupportive family for the holidays--but I
can't help feeling a little surprised at her characterization of the
Dutch view that women should birth naturallly and then nurse for 3
months to 6 months at most, then definitely wean by one year.  Am I
naive to be disillusioned by this "news"?  What is the experience of
others with northern European culture and breastfeeding?  I'd love to
hear.
Judy Gelman, LLL Leader, IBCLC
Washington, DC