From:
Set Nomail Digests <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jan 1998 14:48:58 +1000

> Date:    Sat, 24 Jan 1998 12:41:01 GMT
> From:    Computer Software Solutions Ltd <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Swarm Control
>
> Hi All
>
> This is my second year at beekeeping, and I am presently trying to get a firm
> grip on swarm control, especially as I have hives in a suburban garden....

My hives are also in a suburban area. Swarm control in
this environment is important as the neighbours (especially those
with children) can get quite concerned. I have a few comments to make
which I hope will help :

 1) A previous email comment about requeening is important, as young
        queens seem less likely to swarm. Requeening can also be used to
        calm down a 'nasty' hive.

 2) I was taught that rather than wait for the first signs of
        swarming, you should manipulate the hive as the warmer weather
        approaches. On the first manipulation 2 or 3 frames of capped brood
        are moved from the      brood box to the next super. The capped brood is
        placed near the centre of the super so that it stays warm. The
        spaces are filled with frames of fully drawn comb (as there are not
        many young bees after winter to lay new wax). The queen than has
        room to lay her eggs. This procedure is repeated about 3 weeks later
        however this time frames with foundation only are added so that the
        new bees can get to work in building up the wax. The effect of this
        manipulation is to give the queen more room to lay which tends to
        reduce the chances of her thinking of swarming. The manipulation can
        be repeated once more if you wish to quickly increase the hive
        numbers. Generally in the city there is usually a food source from
        gardens to keep the hives busy between the flowering of any major
        trees.

 3) My understanding is that if you wait to see the bees getting
        ready to swarm you are virtually to late.

 4) If they do swarm and you find out where they went (ie usually in
        one of the neighbour's back yards) catch them and put them in a new
        super and start a second hive. You can re unite them with the
        original hive later,after killing the old queen, by placing
        newspaper under the super you are reuniting. I found that it helps
        if you also sprinkle all bees with flour (yes it is the correct
        spelling I did not mean flower). They are so busy cleaning
        themselves that they don't seem to fight the new bees on the other
        side of the paper.

 5)     I have also heard of placing a 'bait' hive in the vicinity of the
        hive that is about to swarm to catch your own bees. I have not tried
        this but it was suggested to me by another member of my beekeepers
        club.

Hope this helps with your back yard beekeeping.

Michael Clark