From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Dec 1997 22:39:23 -0500
Hi everyone. Just a few notes here. I am hearing lots of opinions on the
Ferber issues, here, and although I myself have strong personal feelings on
this subject, I would kindly suggest that those of us who wish to discuss
this subject, get together, (maybe one can volunteer to lead this discussion
off Lactnet?) and take this discussion to private email, as it is not
directly related to breastfeeding. Thank you.

Also, just a word here.  Some of us are old Lactnetters, having done this
for a while, and some of us are very inexperienced..some of us are singular,
isolated LCs or RNs, or MDs, or RDs, etc, and some are names that are
recognized all over the world ....This last episode, where a newcomer (and a
new IBCLC (and a consciencious one at that) )  asked for a reference, and
then mail got crossed, and conclusions were drawn..this all has made me
think, and given me pause....

There are those of us on Lactnet who are amazingly busy, and very
experienced, and some are well known.  Some are new and very inexperienced,
both with lactation and with the computer in general.  Occasionally, someone
will  post and ask for others to do their work (this was not the case here),
and others don't post for weeks or months due to nervousness.

Those of us who are experienced, and well known, will be asked many
questions on Lactnet.   This is to be expected.  You are allowed to take
your time, or even write back nicely and say that you just cannot get it
together to reply thoroughly. That is ok. You are allowed, and if you can
answer an honest question, as many do, hats off to you for your generosity,
as it helps us all learn.

 People are eager to learn, and many have to work up their courage to even
ask a question.  Sometimes, newcomers will ask what seems to be an obvious
question, and we can gently lead that person to the archives, etc...so that
they can learn how to use Lactnet as a learning tool.  By treating each
other gently, we can avoid hurting the feelings of those we converse with
here. E-mail is a delicate thing....tone of voice is non existent, and
without it, we lose a lot.

I realize that we are all tremendously busy. Lactnet is really a lot to keep
track of ( and *I* should know).....but if we can all remember that there is
a *person* at the other end of the screen, reading our notes,  and whether
we be the expert who is deluged with requests and overwhelmed, or the
newcomer who is trying to learn, let's take it easy.  If we all speak
gently, to each other, and not *assume* that the the other person is
obnoxious,  this will work better for everyone. If in doubt about someone's
statement, *ask* them privately, to clear it up.  Don't immediately go to
the list with your feelings, as this can really stir up a problem that we
don't need.

 Remember, we are all human beings trying to learn. ..and it is a lot easier
to jump to conclusions via e-mail. Let's try to avoid this. OK?

Thanks.
Kathleen
Kathleen B. Bruce, BSN, IBCLC co-owner Lactnet,TLC, Indep. Consultant
http://together.net/~kbruce/kbbhome.html
LACTNET Archives http://library.ummed.edu/lsv/archives/lactnet.html
LACTNET WWW http://www.telcomplus.net/~kga/lactation.html