From:
Ilene Fabisch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Dec 1997 00:48:56 -0500
I don't have much time, its all I can do to receive mail and hope I get
a chance to read it in the near future but I thought after all the help
I received from lactnutters that I owed you an update on my slow to gain
baby.
Brief overview: baby born 9/14, wt 8.1; lost wt first week to 7.5;
baby seen on 11/24 at wt of 8.12 (yikes).  Have worked hard on building
a repore with mom as she is so turned off by MD's.  Baby only gained 1oz
after 5 more days and lost that at wt check two days later BUT...
I'm glad to report on 12/10 had baby gained 9oz in 5 days and on 12/12
baby gained 6oz in three more days!!!!  I think a few things contribute
to the current (not being overly optimistic ;) ) weight gain we are
seeing.  One of them is most certainly mom's more relaxed feeling about
what she is doing being right for her baby.  I don't necessarily agree
with what she has done (added cereal) but because she believes it is
right and it is what she "needed" to do for her older son, as soon as
she did it and relaxed about wanting to do it and being told not to, I
think we saw a subsequently easier
(release?) of milk from her breast and hence transfer to the baby.  Am I
off track here?  I don't think so but I have no research to support what
I am feeling here.  There just weren't any other obvious or not so
obvious reasons why this baby wasn't gaining.  She is very much at odds
with the medical community, preferring less traditional health care such
as use of herbs.  She is interested in fenugreek since I mentioned it to
her and I am going to pick some up for her in tea form as she prefers
but I'm not sure of what the appropriate dosage would be..any one with
this knowledge please give me a suggestion.  Thanks again!
--
Warmly, Ilene Fabisch, IBCLC, LLLL, WIC Bfing Co
Brockton, MA

"Contentment is not the fulfillment of what you want,
but the realization of how much you already have!"