From:
Jane Kershaw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Sep 1997 21:25:19 -0400
Re:  baby who refuses frozen milk.  Had one patient who complained that her
frozen milk became "rancid" after a couple of weeks of storage.  I remember
reading, can't remember where, about some moms milk containing higher levels
of lipase which breaks down the fats into fatty acids which can change the
taste of the milk.  To slow the action of the lipase might need to quick or
flash freeze the milk and keep it at extremely cold temperatures, lower than
what most home freezers can attain.  The mom I am speaking about nursed two
babies with same problem with both.  I believe it is an individual genetic
"problem".
I concur with those who assert cabbage leaves have no effect on milk
production.  Having used them on several moms with oversupply, I found them
not effective.  It is failure to remove milk from the breast and the FIL
factor (sp) as per Dr. Hartman's work that controls milk supply.  Cabbage
leaves MAY increase milk supply indirectly by reducing interstitial cellular
edema and pressure around the ducts thus allowing more complete removal of
milk from the breast.  Have been extremely pleased with use of cabbage leaves
over ice packs in reducing engorgement and increasing maternal comfort.  Have
also used them for wisdom teeth, swollen knees, etc.
Have also used grated or sliced raw potato placed directly over plugged ducts
to spot reduce edema.  Our neotalogist from Syria says this is a common
remedy for winter months when cabbage not available in his country.
PS anyone having Daria's (I think) email address, please let me know.  She is
the one writing a book on adoptive nursing.  My sister just adopted a baby, a
surprise and shock, totally unprepared but extremely happy.  She is doing the
adoptive nursing thing.  I'd like to put her in CYBER contact with others who
have done this.  Baby latched right on, no SNS, no reward.  Mom is using
AVENT until the SNS I sent her arrives.  I am so thrilled!  Now all 6 of us
girls will have done it!
Jane Kershaw  mailto:  [log in to unmask]