Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"Cher Sealy, LLL Leader" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Oct 1997 08:11:27 -0500
Dear Lactneters,
I have read two posts this morning from IBCLC's who say they are dreading
taking the exam again.  I, too, recoiled at the idea and even had a
test-anxiety nightmare two years prior to recertifying.  Since I have just
taken it for the second time this past summer, I wanted to address this.  I
was in that same room in Chicago that Jan Barger wrote about (1987).  Those
of you who will be recertifying in the near future most likely had similar
conditions.  We were in alphabetical order, so I was near the back of the
room (Jan--you were lucky!).  The clinical portion (slides) was on huge
screens at the front of this room (one of the largest I've ever been in in my
entire life.)  We were only allowed so much time, then the picture was gone.
 Now you get your own book with  your own pictures so you can take as much
time as needed.  The tension in a room with nearly 300 anxious people can be
unnerving!  Now you can take the exam with only a small number of others.  In
addition, the exam has changed in 10 years.  There were far fewer drug
questions.  The test was much more situational--as it should be.  I spent
months studying the first time around--none this time, yet improved on my
score.  (10 years of working in the field is all the studying you need!)  In
retrospect, the 2nd time around was a breeze compared with the first.  To
those of you who will be taking it again soon, you have nothing to fear.
Cher Sealy, RN, BSN, IBCLC