Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"Cher Sealy, LLL Leader" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Oct 1997 01:02:32 -0400
Just when you think you've heard it all...
A mom called me today to tell me that the church daycare center she had
finally decided on had denied access to her baby because he was breastfed!
 These people explained that breastmilk was a body fluid and they did not
want to have to handle or store body fluids!!  By the time she called me, she
had already decided she wanted nothing to do with these people.   I
encouraged her to at least educate them before going away.  She plans to do
just that.  I have sent her info from "The Breastfeeding Answer Book"
concerning OSHA and the US Centers for Disease Control's stand that human
milk is not among the body fluids that require separate refrigeration or
gloves for handling.  I also plan to order the booklet mentioned for
childcare facilities, published jointly by the American Academy of Pediatrics
and American Public Health Association.
Has anyone else ever heard of a daycare trying this?  I was just shocked!!
 By the way, this mom works for an attorney.  I 'm wondering if they can
legally get away with this.  It certainly is discrimination.  Anyone know?
Cher Sealy, RN, BSN, IBCLC