From:
Lora M Gleaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Sep 1997 19:29:26 -0500
I would like to comment on your feeling offended by the posting about the
dumb things that drs say.  I can certainly understand you taking offense.
 Several months ago the list members kind of put together an impromptu
list of these statements.  The reason for this is to sort fact from
fiction.  It also helps to see cultural differences & how different areas
of the country handle breastfeeding as a whole.  It is also fascinating
when you look at the different parts of the country in the USA that these
fallacies come from.

However, when we continuously have to deal with inappropriate comments
made by HCP's or blatant statements telling moms that they can't
breastfeed because.........       folks on this list get frustrated.
Because we support breastfeeding, it is nice to be unable to vent some of
these stories with a group that understands why these stories upset us
so.

Because you took the time to sign onto this list, that means you wish to
increase your breastfeeding knowledge or just to lend support.  I would
ask that you cut the offender a little slack since it was not meant
directly towards you.  Some of these stories come from laymen, hcp's
including nurses & technicians, and sometimes from teachers & professors.
 However, maybe we list members do need to be more sensitive in our word
choices also.

Lora Gleaton
La Leche League