From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 1997 15:08:46 -0400
Dr. Nair says..

Date:    Thu, 18 Sep 1997 09:06:43 +0400
From:    "DR. ARUN NAIR" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Doctor bashing, Sarcasm and the rest

It has been a few months since I have become a member of lactnet. I am
sorry to state that I have become disillusioned with the  sort of mails
that is coming through. I am a strong believer of exclusive breast milk
feeding even in the sickest babies. In our enthusiasm to promote a natural
act like BF we should not be offending the sensibilities and ego of people
who matter. In the final analysis the ultimate responsibility  rests with
the physician who is caring. Every effort should be made to include them
(Obstetricians & Paediatricians) in the planning and execution of the
program of promotion of BF in a set up, otherwise it is going to be counter
productive. I am afraid, many people who matter have been offended already
out there. No program can succeed without the whole hearted involvement of
every one concerned. This is a lesson we have learnt from our experience in
Oman, where the whole country is baby friendly as per the guidelines laid
down by the UNICEF. If our genuine interest is to promote universal
breastfeeding then let us be pragmatic and serious. It has to be a mass
movement, there is a need for a political will and the use of managerial
skills at the highest level.

Sincerely

Arun Nair MD
NICU
Royal Hospital
Muscat

Dear Dr. Nair,...I hear that you are concerned that many people have been
offended, some doctors included, by notes on LACTNET.  I am sorry that you
or others come away from it with that perception, as . LACTNET was
originally started as a place for those professionals who work in the field
of lactation to connect, and yes, to sometimes share frustrations. *All
professionals may share.*   My very own personal sensibilities and ego have
been offended countless times by people who are unenlightened and unwilling
to learn more about breastfeeding, and for this, I am also truly sorry and
frustrated. The offenders in my case, have been professionals of all
types...etc.

 I think that part of the problem is that the people who do have the highest
level of education and capabilities sometimes have walls put up around the
issues of breastfeeding. This is one of the only safe places for
professionals of *any* group to share and vent...as long as it is done
politely.  If we take things personally, well, then we have allowed that to
happen.

You are right. No program for improvement on the bf front can succeed
without the full involvement of all .....and in my experience, getting some
physicians to be involved is nigh on to impossible, unless there is
something in it for them...some perk.  .  It is sad, but true, at least
where I live.  The problem here is that those people who call the "shots",
and are who are responsible for planning and ordering care for lactating
dyads, are the same people who do not have a clue about breastfeeding.
There are the lovely exceptions to this rule, of course, but there are many
who are  not clued in to the realities of breastfeeding and its related
clinical issues.  We invite and welcome any body, whether physician, lay
counselor, etc...to join us in a constructive relationship with the focus on
learning more together, but we cannot tiptoe around the issues that need
airing.  We must help the mothers, because it is the mothers themselves who
have the final responsibility for their parenting success, not the physicians.

Respectfully....and glad that you yourself let us know your view.

Kathleen
Kathleen B. Bruce, BSN, IBCLC co-owner Lactnet,TLC, Indep. Consultant
http://together.net/~kbruce/kbbhome.html
LACTNET Archives http://library.ummed.edu/lsv/archives/lactnet.html
LACTNET WWW http://www.telcomplus.com/~kga/lactation.html