HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"M. Jay Stottman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 May 1998 13:54:36 -0700
Linda,

I recently worked on a cemetery from the same time period.  We were just looking

to define the boundaries of the cemetery by identifying the grave shafts.  We
only had to go about 1- 1.5 feet deep to distinguish the shafts.  However, we
did excavate deep enough to actually encounter one of the graves, which we found

at about 4.5 feet deep.  It sounds just as likely to me that grave diggers could

have stopped at the gravel layer. I do not know if there was a standard grave
depth, I always heard most were at 6 feet.  I hope this helps.

M. Jay Stottman
Kentucky Archaeological Survey
University of Kentucky