HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Julia Coste <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Oct 1997 12:36:23 -0400
To add to Adrian's response. Our 6-seater brothel privy in LA was filled in
1901 in one episode when they renovated the parlor house. The haul was over
10,000 artifacts representing 1,500 individual items. For comparison, there
are 9 other privies of the same time period on the same block but of
blue-collar workers. So we should be able to say exactly how parlor house
life is different from its neighbors. We are completing the Data Volume first
(this winter); the comparisons will be in  the second phase - Special Studies
volume, in 1988.
I have just sent off an article summarizing the findings - emphasizing
alcohol, medicines and cosmetics for publication in Restoring Women's HIstory
Through Historic Preservation, edited by Gail Dubrow and Jennifer Goodman.
Johns Hopkins University Press. We are also going on the road with 2
presentations at the SHA in Atlanta in Jan and at the SAA in Seattle in
March.
AND .... If anyone would like a copy of the ca. 15-min video show from the
Learning Channel's Search for Hidden Treasure, both Adrian and I have copies
for cost: $10.00 each (inc. postage and handling - domestic).
We will post availability of  publications here.
Watch out for El Nino!
Julia Costello