From:
Karen Foard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Oct 1997 08:11:01 -0500
I have read through the archived info about breastfeeding and herpes, as
well as in Lawrence and Riordan and  Auerbach. I am still confused as to
understanding what would be the recommendations for this mother/baby pair.

Mother has history of HSV in/on mouth.  Her toddler has been diagnosed with
multiple HSV lesions in mouth and down throat.  He is still nursing 5-10
times a day/night. She had an active lesion on her lip about 1 1/2 weeks
before he broke out.

He has been prescribed Acyclovir. She has been told to not nurse for 48
hours, presumably until the meds kick in and make him less infectious (?)
with the rationale being that his nursing (after the dx, regardless of that
he was nursing before the dx) may trigger/apply the virus to her nipples
and put future babies at risk; compounding this, she is 7 weeks pregnant.

Do any of you know this to be true?  Would it be prudent therefore for
*any* mom who gets HSV outbreaks to be FASTIDIOUS about not touching her
breasts during an outbreak?  I know cleanliness is important, but I guess I
was ignorant about all the ramifications...I get canker sores from a
toothbrush jab, not cold sores on lips etc. so I wasn't aware of the
nonpregnant nonlactating problems of spread of this virus.  Is this a
woman's/baby's health issue for ANYONE who gets the cold sore variety of
this virus?

This mom doesn't WANT to wean, she has been off the breast even before
calling me, and is wondering is the 48 hours enough?  Should she wean now
in order to not put next (future) babies at risk?

Thanks for your help, LACTNETTERS!

Karen Foard, State College, PA