From:
lucy brey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Sep 1997 16:41:35 -0000
Dear Lactnetters
        A small core committee on my unit (me included) is making steps toward
BFriendly.  Of course people feel threatened with any change and this one
is certainly creating its share of threatened people. I need some really
good rationale to answer for these changes.  I know some of you have been
through this change and have already answered these arguements.  So please
tell me how you answered these:

1.  Our customers won't come to our hospital if they have to pay for their
formula.  The other hospital doesn't charge.
2.  What benifit  is Baby Friendly, since we already do good breastfeeding
support and education?
3.  Why does the Lactation Community think that giving formula discharge
packs means that we aren't supportive of breastfeeding?  After all, don't
we provide education to the mother on how to breastfeed and who to call if
she has problems?
4.  How can we charge for formula?  Aren't meals included in the room
charge, so shouldn't the newborn get a meal they are entitled too?  (I've
already offered the response that breastfeeding mothers don't get a
discount for the non-use of formula, and was told "well they get the use of
your services and time, and that comes out of our budjet")
5.  How can we present the concept of Baby Friendly to the community so
that it is looked at as a possitive for ALL mothers and newborns?
Including formula ones.
6.  If someone asked, "what is baby friendly?  I heard that is where you
have to pay for your formula" how would you respond??

Please hurry and respond, and to my email if possible

Thanks so much!!!
cooler by the lake
Lucy Brey