From:
Glenn Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Sep 1997 20:14:29 -0700
A second-time mom, having breastfed her first baby for eight months, says she doesn't want to breastfeed this baby because her first is too attached to her.  She doesn't want to get that attached to this baby.

Oh sadness -- it seems to me she should have been talking about this with her health care providers long before the postpartum period.  This is not an LC issue (though our OB referred her for a consult prior to discharge), this is a social service/psychiatric issue.  And if people had more time at their visits, and more visits during their pregnancies, maybe moms would bring this stuff up earlier on when someone can do something about it.  Our current visitation schedule is now down to 6-7 minutes per visit -- 7 - 9 visits per pregnancy.

If we all agree that a healthy baby is the most important step to a healthy adult, scheduling minimal time in the prenatal period seems about the worst way to go about it.  But what do I know?  I'm just an RN, an LC, a woman, a mother...

Chanita, San Francisco