From:
Glenn Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 1997 14:50:39 -0700
Dear Lactnetters, doctors among us included,

We have examples of dumb, stupid, weird, silly, funny comments made by every sort of person who has anything to do with breastfeeding: mothers, fathers, grandparents, siblings, people in the grocery store, secretaries in the HCP's offices, aides, LVN's, RN's, doctors, dentists, psychologists, dieticians, PTs, OTs, RTs and speech therapists.  I have even heard some LC's make stupid statements.  I've been known to make a few stupid statements myself, on Lactnet, yet, where some if not all of the group thoroughly trounced me (but usually gently).

I am sorry Dr. Salomon felt his profession was bashed.

I am sorry if any people's feelings are hurt when we say "another
DUMB  *****'S  comment"  -- but the fact is, it was a dumb comment, and it was made by a *****.

But the reason we are bringing these comments up, besides to have a good laugh or a good scream, is so all of us can learn how to answer these kinds of statements with grace and humor, and how to educate people in all professions, including our own, regarding the current and continuing understanding of breastfeeding:  what helps it, what hinders or hurts it, and how many things that were in the past thought to be non-compatible with breastfeeding, have under the light of scrutiny, stopped being taboo.

I will point out that we have many doctors on Lactnet who are able to take these comments in stride, and who even add to our lists.

Please, all whose feathers have been ruffled, calm down.  None of our professions are free of practitioners who say dumb things.  Lets get out there and teach 'em better.

Sincerely,

Chanita, San Francisco