From:
Andy Nachbar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Dec 1997 17:47:52 -0800
>>I was surprised that the NHB missed an opportunity to promote General
>>Mill's "Save the Honey Bee" campaign (did anyone ever hear the final
>>outcome of that campaign?).
>
>Yup, they 'saved' 4 1/2 honey bees.....
>I got that straight from "The Old Drone" himself... :-)

Never was able to find out what happened to the BS Research Money GM was
going to give, maybe someone else has the details?

What I did find out was this "Save the Honey Bee" was not supported my most
in the industry because it was suspected that it was more intended to
promote a GM product then give any meaningful help to the bee industry
because of long time experiences with this company by those in the bulk
honey industry. The same company cut back on the amount of honey they use
in their products because they could not see paying the beekeepers so much
for their honey. They did not change the labels on their product just
replaced most of the honey with other sweeteners leaving enough in so they
could keep the word "honey" in the ingredient statement and label. In some
products there is about as much salt as honey.

ttul, the OLd Drone